An old sport gaining new ground
Grass track cycling is a game that involves racing the bicycles on the grass tracks. Over the past few years, this form of bicycle racing has gained popularity around various parts of the world. This type of racing is done on a flat field, such as an unused football pitch. The tracks are accurately marked on the field.
Physical requirements – you’ll need it!
If you are a beginner, you should first realise what your getting into, and that some training will be a necessity. Usually, there is an experienced hand who will give advice on how to train for grass track racing. Alternatively, you could get coaching sessions, these will take around 40 minutes or so depending on how knackered you get. The first 10 minutes is usually a warm-up that includes mobility exercises. The next 30 minutes is serious training that prepares the riders for formal racing competition. In a coaching session, the riders are taught about safety consideration during the cycling. At the end of the training session, the riders are expected to co-ordinate effectively as a team.
The types of events you can enter
- Scratch racing: in this type of cycling, the riders start together and cycle for a specified number of laps. The winner is the first rider to cross the finish line.
- The devil: it involves elimination of the rider who is last to cross the line on each lap. This is done until 3 riders remain. The first rider to in the last lap is declared a winner.
- Points racing: the first 4 riders get points on the specific laps.
- Team pursuit: the 2 teams are compromising of 4 riders each start at opposite side of the track and chase the opposing team for a specific number of laps. The team that catches the opponent faster is declared a winner.
- Keirin: this is an advanced level of grass track racing, where the riders follow a motorcycle that rides at about 50kph. The first one to catch up with the motorcycle is declared a winner.
Grass track cycling is an exciting sport that involves racing on the grass track. To get started as a beginner, you will need stamina, endurance and tolerance to pain :).